Vivian Ochoa

Vivian Ochoa

God is calling me to serve in member care to cross-cultural workers. The Apostle Paul is a great example of someone who received care from believers who supported him, ministered to him and visited in him jail. Cross-cultural workers today also experience needs, trials, and challenges. Through pastoral counseling, spiritual formation, crisis care, training, and meeting practical needs, I hope to serve the whole person throughout the various stages of the career of the cross-cultural worker.

After working as a telecommunications engineer for four and a half years, I moved into full-time cross-cultural work, taking a one-year program in Linguistics and Bible Translation. I have since lived cross-culturally in Papua New Guinea, Peru, India, Bangladesh, and Costa Rica for periods of two months to two years. As a Pastoral Counseling student I am currently doing my internship at a missions-minded church in Columbia and also work as an assistant to the director of the Pastoral Counseling program at CIU. These experiences help me understand the type of needs, trials, and challenges experienced by cross-cultural workers, their churches and their organizations.

My classes at CIU are equipping me with sound doctrine, cross-cultural preparedness, and the ability to serve cross-cultural workers with pre-field orientation, training, grief and loss, crisis, transition, re-entry and other life challenges. As I get closer to finishing my degree, I am integrating all the truths and tools needed to advance God’s mission in the world.

Columbia International University Alumni
Copyright 2012 - All Rights Reserved